The term “payment orchestration” is popping up everywhere in the payment processing realm. Yet, it’s not a new solution by any means.
As an online merchant, have you heard the term “payment orchestration”? It would be unsurprising, as this concept has popped up all over the place recently in the payment processing realm. Yet, it’s not a new solution by any means. Vendo has been a payment orchestration provider for more than ten years.
What Is Payment Orchestration?
In exploring payment orchestration, it’s helpful to look at a then-versus-now scenario. Traditionally, a merchant would partner with one payment provider that would handle all of the necessary steps in sales transactions. For example, that single payment provider would provide the merchant with the technology the merchant needed to be able to accept and process payments, then release funds to the merchant on an agreed-upon timeline.
With the expansion and acceleration of doing business digitally, it’s not as feasible for one payment provider to serve the merchant in a way that maximizes revenue. This is especially true for merchants categorized as “high-risk” who may encounter daily challenges, from chargebacks and higher payment processing fees.
Enter the payment orchestration platform (aka: gateway 2.0). This approach to payment processing takes the technical complexity out of merchant activities. A payment orchestration provider works behind-the-scenes to offer merchants key services, such as:
- Tokenization, or the ability to store end users’ payment details. A simple example is the Amazon one-click purchase transaction. Merchants benefit from tokenization primarily due to the seamless process their customers experience, helping improve customer loyalty.
- Alternative payment methods. At Vendo, we’ve seen merchants realize as much as 10% revenue growth when expanding their payment options (e.g. cryptocurrency, SEPA, PIX). What’s particularly attractive about the payment orchestration platform is that those payment methods already exist on the platform. All a merchant has to do to turn “on” the payment method and they are ready to accept transactions.
- Business analytics/reporting. This allows merchants to make more informed decisions about their business strategy and recognize certain gaps that may be stunting revenue potential. The payment orchestration provider also can provide reconciliation reports that compile all payment sources into one file (credit card, crypto, PIX, etc.).
- Chargeback management. Chargebacks can be incredibly costly for online merchants. It takes time and effort to try to fight them on a daily basis. With a payment orchestration provider, merchants have an option to lessen the burden.
- Fraud/risk management. Fraud has always been an issue for online merchants, but its rapid acceleration over the past few years demands better solutions. Artificial Intelligence (AI) is helping to mitigate fraud risk and reduce the number of “bad actors” behind fraudulent transactions. Merchants also have the ability to test different 3D secure providers to identify which one provides the greatest fraud protection.
- Revenue growth optimization. At Vendo, we offer a number of revenue growth tools such as one-click purchasing, cross sales, back discount offers (BDO), extended memberships, partial refunds, retention discount offers (RDO), and expiring discount offers (EDO). These are all a part of the services of a top-tier payment orchestration platform.
Additional options include gift card offers,, dynamic currency conversion, and ways to optimize fulfillment and delivery. The payment orchestration provider also works with multiple acquiring bank in order to increase approval ratios by finding the best routing between issuer and acquirer.,
Clearly there’s very little a payment orchestration platform cannot do.
Payment Orchestration: the Journey
Payment orchestration removes many of a merchant’s day-to-day challenges, which is a significant advantage over the competition. It serves as a platform that provides merchants with everything they need to be successful. Another benefit is that merchants can select which payment orchestration services they want to use. It is not an “all or nothing” approach; rather, it’s a journey.
For example, merchants might start with tokenization, then use increased revenue from that service to start adding on other services. They may see fraud reduction of 5% with one 3D secure provider but 15% reduction with another.
Larger merchants with tremendous volumes often have the budgetary bandwidth to start with all of the payment orchestration platform services. Smaller merchants can feel confident selecting the types of services that give them the best outcomes—based on their individual needs and goals, somewhat of an a la carte scenario.
Shift to Payment Orchestration
While payment orchestration has existed for over a decade, it’s only recently been defined. Some experts attribute its recent popularity to a concerted marketing effort. Marketing or not, merchants have vast opportunities to expand their target audience, maximize revenue, and streamline operations by employing payment orchestration.
If you’re interested in learning more about payment orchestration and all of its benefits, please contact one of Vendo’s experts.
About Vendo: Vendo offers comprehensive payment processing services to e-commerce merchants, including those in high-risk industries. Our innovative, AI-powered tools offer merchants simple, secure, and seamless payment solutions, along with expert customer support from integration to end-user concerns. Our expert team works 24/7 to shape your vision into reality.